Monday 16 November 2015

Scottish boat delivery and AGM

A couple of months ago, Simon took on the lovely task of towing a new Lugger trailer to Kincardine to meet its new owner, while there, he drove onto Elie to collect a Lugger for refurbishment. We then had the task of finding time to take the Lugger back once the work was completed.

Having met Bob Heasman at London Boat Show earlier in the year, I mentioned that if we had the chance to, we would love to make the AGM.

So here comes my brainwave, let's deliver the boat back to Elie, and stay on for a few days. Easy, I emailed Bob with the good news, to then have an email back from a Dabber owner, asking if we could price to take his boat back to our yard, along with pricing for some work to be done on her. Well I guess it does make the trip more worthwhile.

So Friday 13th and we leave home at 4.30am, arriving at the yard and hitching the trailer up, all ready to leave at 5.05am (I can see this is going to a very long trip).
It was very dark when we left
Once we were on the road, I wondered how Simon could drive that distance without falling asleep, as I know I was nodding off many times. We had a couple of stops, and then finally we finally crossed the boarder into Scotland.
 

Finally in Scotland


Once over the border, the views we saw were lovely, until it started to sleet, followed by snow, the temperature gauge went from 8 degrees to zero during our journey, looking over to the fast lane, it was clear of traffic, only the snow was laying on the ground, something I haven't seen for a few years.
 


We finally arrived at the farmers farm about 4.00pm, only to be caught in a horrendous rain storm, we moved the trailer and the boat into the barn, and went to over her up, it was then that I saw there was another Drascombe Lugger in the barn, knowing that I collect HIN numbers, I went to the stern to have a look, and I couldn't believe it, the one I saw was McN 065 and the one we had just brought back was McN 066, what are the chances for that?

The Lugger finally back home

We left the farm and headed to Broughty Ferry, which was where we were staying for the two nights. I have to say, I picked a nice place to stay.
 
Saturday was a day to have a look around Dundee, so we got a taxi into town and had a leisurely walk around, It is just like being back home, but we did find that it had far more independent little shops, which is really good to see. We especially liked JA Braithwaite Ltd, which has been selling tea and coffee since 1868, I think we have a long way to go to be trading that long.
 
The amazing large church, which looked bigger than Winchester Cathedral caught my eye, along with the five penguin figures on the wall outside it.
 
A snack lunch was taken in Tickety Boos, a lovely little pub, with very friendly staff, and the best hot chocolate I have had in a long time.
 
Soon it was back to the B&B, change and head off to the Royal Tay Yacht Club, this was where the Scottish AGM was being held. The AGM was a small gathering of about 20 local members, John Stanage the Chair of the DA was there from Ireland, and it would appear that we travelled the furthest. It was lovely to be made so welcome by the members and owners of these lovely boats, the first time you go somewhere new it is always with anticipation, however we had no need to worry.

Niall Wardrop chaired the meeting, and dates and locations were set for the following years rallies. It was mentioned about having the Scottish Drascombe Association present at the Scottish Boat Show in 2016, and this is where I spoke of the possibility of Churchouse Boats having a stand at the show, we have heard only good things of this boat show, so we shall be looking into this with the help of Niall, Graham and Bob.
 
I also took the opportunity of reminding the members that in 2017, it is the 50th anniversary of Drascombes, and again would they look at which one of their rallies they would like to have as a 50th anniversary event. This was agreed, and again we will work with them to get non members along to the events too.
 
After the AGM, we went into the dining room for supper, the food was splendid, and even the chef come out for us to say Thank You too.
 


Chatting after a lovely meal
 
We retired to the bar afterwards, for more drinks and lots of talking. Soon, it was time to leave as we were heading back in the morning. It certainly was a good idea to make the effort to travel 500 miles to attend the Scottish AGM, it was nice to put faces to names, and meet new people, along with building bridges.
 
Sunday morning we head to Bob and Margaret Heasman's to collect Nokomis from their place, as this is the one we are bringing back for some work. Again a horrible wet day, but is should be quicker as it is all down hill!!
 
Ready to go back home

 
We said our goodbyes, and head off with some home made flapjacks (and very nice they were too), this was another very long and slow journey, no snow this time, but idiots who drive with no lights on are quite annoying. Again, I think I nodded off on many occasions, but it was nice to start seeing the familiar road signs knowing we were getting closer to home.
 
Again, we arrived home about 12 hours after we left Scotland, If I say I am going to Scotland again towing a boat, will someone please remind me of the long drive it can be. Credit to Simon for all of the driving.
 
What did I enjoy, well I have never been to Scotland before, and it may have been such a short trip, but the people we met and talked too really made it for me.
 
But overall, the highlight was on our way home I had an email from Bob, and he had attached one of his drawings for me, that really meant a lot to me, and I shall be framing it for my office wall, Thank you Bob, you are a true gent.
Thank you Bob, this is brilliant.
 
 
Well, that is nearly it for this year, after the Chichester Super on the 27th November, I will do an update of my year, and what I have planned for next year.
 
Bye for now xxxx

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment