Tuesday 5 May 2015

First Drascombe Rally of 2015

Friday 1st May 2015 sees me heading down to Chichester for the start of the first rally of the year for the South Coast. I am begining to know the journey to Chichester Marina well now. The sun is shining when I arrive - sadly it did not stay like that for long.

I arrived at mid-day to see Tony W (Tony had arrived the previous day after sailing from Ashlet and was already moored up), David M was sorting out his Gig and getting her rigged, she looked huge but I know she would shrink in the water, Adam with his Coaster had arrived too for his first Drascombe rally. Dick P soon arrived, so we went down to put our things on Daisleebee.

While I went off for a wander and have a chat with David, Dick was starting up Daisleebee ready for a trip out, we decided to motor out into the harbour to charge the batteries up. We headed out through the lock, past the dredging machine and into the open water. What a difference it was from when I was last out in February, all the trees are lovely shades of green.


Time for a selfie - not sure why Dick is looking worried though

With me at the helm, we head down towards Itchenor, on the way we see Peter T in his Drifter and manage to say a passing "Hello", motoring on we go down and around to moor up at the visitors pontoon at Itchenor, one day I might be jumping off the boat to tie up, but for now I will leave it to the expert. 

Putting the sprayhood up to keep the wind off us, it is actually quite warm, a polo shirt and fleece keep me snug. Lunch is courtesy of Dick, and we eat Al Fresco, I am starting to appreciate the peace and quiet (when I stop talking).

On our way back, those buoys still kept coming towards me, but luckily I missed them all, much to the relief of someone.

Taking the helm we head back down through the lock to the marina to see who else has arrived. This time, no reversing, it is straight in we go. Tony is on hand to help tie her up, and we head off to find some Drascombes and their owners.

John B, Ian C, Adam and Aidan with their Coasters, David with his Gig, and Peter T with his Drifter are moored up at the pontoon, we walk along to Peters Driter for pre-dinner drinks - now this is really the start of the rally. 

This is the first time that I have been on an original Drifter, and I have to say that I am liking it, a roomy cabin for sleeping in, along with a quaint little galley (sorry Peter), in the cockpit there were eight of us at one time. The wine, beer and gin were soon flowing, and many laughs were had, in between the rain showers.
Happy Sailors!

Soon another Drascombe arrived, this time it was Douglas with his Drifter 22, I have seen Stewarts D22 many times on a trailer, but this was the first time I had seen one on the water - a lot of firsts for me today!

Douglas arriving

Douglas soon come aboard and joined us, more drink, more laughs and even a hat show from Tony and Douglas.
Discussing hats!

Adrian arrived after some confusion as too where we were, so we had a few more drinks. I am beginning to wonder if the rallies are just one big social, with a little bit of sailing in between.

Soon, we said our goodbyes to the others and Tony, Dick and I headed back to Daisleebee, where super was cooked by Dick. 

As the evening light was starting to go, it was soon time for me to head back home, after a fun nine hours in great company, and lots of laughs, I was starting to look forward to my comfy bed. I may not have attended the full rally, but if those few hours are just a taster, roll on the next bank holiday, when I will join in for two days, and have my first sail in a Drascombe. Now, which will be the first Dracombe I sail in?

Thank you all for making me welcome, and here is to some good weather at the next one.

Come back soon for the next update xx













No comments:

Post a Comment