Wednesday 11 February 2015

My first time on the water


Over a year ago at the Drascombe supper, I asked Dick Pizey if he would take me out on his boat, as I wanted someone to teach me to sail. With the reply "oh yes, of course" I waited for my first lesson, which never happened.

Move on a year, and Dick very kindly agreed to help me on our stand at London Boat Show, and again I asked if he would teach me to sail, this time with a little arm twisting, he agreed.

During my time at the boat show, I kitted myself out with a coastal jacket, hat and gloves, I had thermals and waterproof trousers already, so I was ready for my first lesson.

Hearing that Dick was planning on visiting his boat (Daislebee is a Cornish Shrimper) on Friday 23rd January, I invited myself along for my first lesson.

I dropped Simon off in Winchester as he was heading to Boot Dusseldorf Boat Show, and drove on down to Chichester to meet with Dick for breakfast. After breakfast we drive along to Chichester Marina and I see Daislebee for the first time. Why is it that boats always look smaller in the water?

What I have failed to mention, and I only told Dick after he agreed to take me sailing was ............. I have a fear of water, don't get me wrong, I can swim and I go to the beach, but the thought of being on a boat smaller than a ferry frightens me. After having two un-pleasant experiences when I was younger, I have stayed clear of boats, so when I started working, and then purchased Churchouse Boats with Simon in 2013, I knew it was time to do something about it. So my New Year’s Resolution for 2015 was to enjoy being on the water, learn to sail, attend my first rally and live aboard for one night on a boat, I do not do things by half’s as you will find out.
With my sailing gear on we get on board, ahh this is fun, the boat rocks when getting aboard, taking deep breaths, I get on and sit in the cockpit while Dick is sorting things out, and starting her up.
If I thought I was going to have it easy, no chance. Taking hold of the tiller to steer her from her mooring, we head through the ice toward the lock, once through the lock we were out in the harbour, this is where I try not to think about all of the water around me, I have a life jacket on, so I will be alright. Once out in the harbour I soon loose the "my way..... your way" to using the correct terms of port and starboard. The weather was lovely, sadly no wind but the sun shone for us.

Along the way, I was soon identifying the port and starboard marks, trying to understand cardinal marks, tidal flow as well as taking some orders from customers. This is the life!

I am not going to get cold, plenty of layers to keep warm

I had my first attempt at ferry gliding, and not sure how, but we managed to pull up alongside the Harbour Masters pontoon, I left the tying up to Dick, as I am still learning my knots.

After a quick visit to the office, we set of again to find a buoy where we stopped to have lunch overlooking Bosham.

Moored up for lunch overlooking Bosham
Sadly, we didn't get the sails up, so we motored back to the Marina and to put Daislebee away after her first outing of the year.

So, the question is what did I think of being out on the water?

I loved it, Dick was a very patient teacher which made me feel very much at ease. I did worry about damaging his boat, but he was very laid back about leaving me at the helm.

I am beginning to understand why so many people enjoy being out on the water, apart from the peace and tranquillity, the sights you see along the way are wonderful. For me, being out on the water made me forget who I was a few hours, I was not wife, business owner, mother or nanny, I was me, and it was my time away from all the everyday dramas.

So, when am I going again?

The date is in the dairy, so look out for the next instalment.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging community, Sharon. I look forward to reading about your continuing sailing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon, so glad to see your first trip out on the Shrimper went so well. Look forward to reading about your next adventure. You're so right about what it means to be out on the water; welcome to the big secret! - Bill (Lugger "Ondine")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning to understand the "big secret" and really enjoyed having the sails up

      Delete