Saturday 28 February 2015

The sails went up

Friday 27th February was the date set for my next adventure on the water, as this fitted in nicely with the Drascombe Supper in the evening.

I met up with Dick P outside Winchester, and we headed off down to Chichester, I have to say, I couldn't have chosen better weather if I had tried, when we arrived at Chichester it was a lovely clear blue sky, not a cloud in site.

After motoring out of the marina, and through the lock, I only had one near miss when the depth sounder was starting to beep at me and the centreplate was hitting the ground, but Dick soon got me back on course.

We turned the engine off, and Dick put the sails up, he had warned me that it would make some noise, but nothing to worry me too much.
With the main sail up

Once the sails were up, we headed past Itchenor and down through to East Head, now the fun began, as I learnt how to tack and jibe. I was actually enjoying it until at one point I was closer to the water than I wanted to be, I heard Dick say "if only I had a camera, your face was a picture"

Lunch time soon arrived, and Dick dropped the anchor near East Head and the sprayhood was pulled up to give us some shelter.



Someone decided to have a lie down on the deck

After a bite to eat, we then headed back down the marina, the sea air must have got to me, as at one point I said to Dick "those buoys keep getting closer to us" only to be informed, that it was because I was moving the boat to close too close to them ....... 

Heading back to the marina, we got to 5.2 knots, not bad for my first time sailing.

Once back near the straight to the marina, the sails had to go away, this was interesting, as I turned the boat 180 degrees to let Dick put the mainsail away, now I know what you have to turn into the wind to put the sails down, I hope that bit is correct!

Time for a selfiie
Once back in the marina, I asked if I could reverse Daislebee back into her mooring, with that look which says "no, never, not on your life" I got my way, and was very careful at putting her back safely in her mooring, with no dents or scratches.

What a great end to a lovely day, the weather could not have been better, the company as always was great and sailing was brilliant, I think I might have an new hobby now.

We finished of our time on the water by going to the Chichester Yacht Club in the evening for the first of this years Drascombe Supper, with the usual crowd of Simon, Stewart, Brad, Bob, Ian, Glenys, Tony,  Jenny, Michel from Holland and of course Dick, it was a fun filled evening.

The evening did not end there, as Dick presented me with a Certificate of Achievement "for not minding the wobbles and missing the red and green things" and for once I was quiet.

So, my thoughts on sailing - it was relaxing and peaceful, although I still have a long way to go before I take Daislebee out on my own (only joking DP)

The date is in my diary for my first rally, but before that, a few more sailing lessons are required.

Thank you DP for your patience.

And a note for Bill G, I am beginning to understand the 'big secret'

Until the next time .......... x
















2 comments:

  1. No mention of running aground then ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very close, but didn't manage to completely run aground. There is a lot to take in when you are a beginner, but I am very much enjoying it, and look forward to going out on some Drascombes in the summer

    ReplyDelete